Today is the first day of meteorological summer which runs from June 1 through August 31, corresponding to how most people envision the season, running from about Memorial Day to about Labor Day.
Here at the Garden it always amazes us how incredibly fast things begin to grow as the soil and the temperature warms. Yes, it was a chilly weekend, but that is behind us now. Let’s get into the summer season!
Where to Find Us This Week
If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
HLFM Wednesday Market Opens
Located by the Crooked Hammock Brewery on King’s Highway near Dartmouth Drive and Rt. 1, the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) Wednesday Market, runs every week from 8 to 11, from June through September.
This will be the first market at this location and we hope to see you there. It is an easy market to get in and out of, and parking is convenient.
We will be bringing items exclusively harvested and grown at Hattie’s Garden. See below for a list of available produce for this week.
We will also bring a selection of plants to the market and encourage you to also check out Hattie’s Garden on Thursday or Saturday to visit our entire selection of plants.
In a week or two, we will provide fresh cut specialty flowers for you both at the market and at the Garden.
Produce, Herbs and Other Food Items Available This Week
Freshly harvested produce and herbs from Hattie’s Garden — these can be purchased at Hattie’s Garden during our open hours on June 3 and June 5, at the Wednesday HLFM or through our Saturday Pickup/Delivery Service (deadline for placing your order is Tuesday at 8 PM).
- Garlic Scapes — Sold by the bunch, garlic scapes can be used in stir fry, sautéed like green beans, steamed with lemon as a side dish and chopped into any salsa or dip. They can also simply be used wherever you would use regular garlic.
- Arugula — Young arugula, triple-washed and bagged.
- Mesclun — Triple-Washed & bagged.
- Mixed lettuce — Cut at a young and tender stage of growth and includes a delightful variety of colors, shapes and textures. Triple-washed.
- Sugar Snap Peas — Get them while they last.
- Young Swiss Chard — Delicious.
- Young Carrots — Freshly-harvested.
- Young Beets — Young bunches with greens.
- Hakurei Turnips — Sweet, crunchy, and great raw in a salad, yet versatile enough to be added to soups and stir-fry.
- Herbs — Fresh cut Dill, Cilantro, Parsley (Curly and Flat) and Rosemary.
Produce and Other Food Items from Vendors — The following items are available to purchase only during our open hours at the Garden on June 3 and June 5, or through the Saturday Pickup/Delivery Service (deadline for placing your order is Tuesday at 8 PM).
- AlaskaWild Seafoods — Salmon, Alaska Cod and Rockfish from Alaska sustainably managed waters.
- Dittmar Chicken — Half and whole chickens.
- Twin Post Farm — Free-range chicken eggs.
- Chapel’s Country Creamery — An assortment of fresh cheese from grass fed cows.
- Stag Run — Chrissy Bee’s honey.
We are still offering a huge selection of plants, including four colors of Profusion bedding zinnias, many more colors of Benary Giant cutting zinnias and a fresh planting of tomatoes, eggplant and pepper plants. We have marigolds, cosmos, gomphrena, celosia and nasturtiums, herbs and squash and cucumbers for you. See our plant pages on the website for a list and description. These can be purchased during our open hours on June 3 and June 5, and at the Wednesday HLFM.
Pickup/Delivery Service Active Until Tuesday, 8 PM
Through this service you can order for pickup or delivery on Saturday, the produce and herbs we grow, as well as a variety of other produce, vegetables, and authentic food from local farmers and vendors. Please note the products from the following vendors can only be purchased through our online system.
- King Mushrooms— Fresh mushrooms from their farm in Barclay, MD on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.
- Backyard Jams & Jellies — Dozens of homemade jams & jellies.
- Totem Farms — Microgreens and fresh produce.
- Dittmar Farms Produce — Fresh harvested produce.
The deadline for placing your order is Tuesday at 8 PM.
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Road (also known as Rt. 1D), coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South).
Kendale Rd. is a short road (0.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam Road. The house is fifth on the left from Beaver Dam Rd, and has a large wooden fence in front of house with purple trim.
Park in the graveled area facing the fence. If you don’t see us, you may toot your horn. We could be processing things in the garage or working outside in the garden.
Reminder that you do not need an appointment. Simply show up during our open hours of operation. We prefer cash or checks, and do have the capability to take credit cards if necessary.
Yours in the garden and at the market,