Welcome to summer. The solstice officially starts at 6:51 a.m. on Saturday, June 21. Yes, it has felt like summer already this week with our 90+ degree temperatures. But thankfully it looks like conditions will moderate a bit for the weekend, just in time for the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) on Saturday morning. The HLFM runs from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
What’s Available This Week
We have had a very luscious week of growing plants and our produce is becoming more and more plentiful.
Plants for Your Garden
- Benary Giant Zinnias – They are fabulous. These large cutting zinnias will grow to 5 feet tall. Some of you just don’t have that kind of space, but for those of you who can squeeze them in, the Benary Giant is a professional cutting zinnia well worth the space to grow. A four pack of plants will give you dozens of blooms over the course of the summer.
- Oklahoma Zinnias – Less imposing than the Benary at 3 feet high and still a very beautiful cut flower.
Both these varieties are powdery mildew resistant and are the flowers grown by professional cut flower growers. This batch is the last large batch we will grow this year, so we hope you will take advantage of their availability.
Our normal price of $5 per 4-pack is reduced this week to $4 per 4-pack and they are grown in a nice large “cell” with good organic potting soil. There is enough starter nutrient to get them going in the ground and only fertilize them after they begin to put on some growth in two or three weeks.
- Herbs – We still have nice herbs for your garden including lemongrass and basil.
- Beautiful carrots and beets – Get them this week as they are very nice still, but they do not grow well as the heat descends upon us!
- Cherry tomatoes – We only have a few grape and cherry tomatoes that will not last more than five or ten minutes at the start of the market, but are an indication that tomatoes are clearly on their way into the market!
- Arugula – Our arugula is wonderful and we still have nice lettuce as well. It is all triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Sugar Snap Peas – These are the last of our Sugar Snap peas! These are the original Sugar Snaps and are very sweet.
- Herbs – Plenty of fresh herbs this week including large bunches of parsley, basil, dill and cilantro as well as Mojito Mint for your weekend festivities.
- Flowers – We finally have a decent amount of bouquets featuring Snapdragons and Benary Giant Zinnias!
Thanks for attending the HLFM. Hattie’s Garden will begin some weekly hours just after the fourth of July weekend.
We look forward to seeing you Saturday.