Tomatoes and Arugula — What a delightful combination to make a lovely summer salad.
Our young arugula looks wonderful for this week thanks to the nice weather we had last week and our tomatoes are just lovely.
Our salad recipe consists of arugula dressed with lightly marinated fresh tomatoes in our homemade dressing.
To make the dressing combine about 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, about a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and about tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
Then cut up a cup or so of ripe tomatoes (heirloom or cherry work well) into bite sized pieces and let them to rest in the dressing while you prepare the rest of your dinner.
After resting at least five minutes, pour these lovely tomatoes over Hattie’s Garden young arugula. Add a touch of tahini or sesame oil if you have it. Season with salt and pepper, to taste We can’t get enough of this summer salad!
What’s Available This Week
You can find us this week Wednesday through Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Hattie’s Garden located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at Kings Highway across from Crooked Hammock Brewery, and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the HLFM located at George H.P. Smith Park. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — We are cutting Lisianthus in a range of colors from white to lavender to blue. If you know this flower, it is beautiful. Tall, elegant and multi stemmed, it will last a couple weeks in the vase and continue to bloom. Additionally we have Benary Giant Zinnias, Gomphrena,Dianthus, stunning Double Click Cosmos, Tall Blue Ageratum, and plumes of Celosia. Each of our flower cuttings, which will last you at least a full week, are pretty enough to stand alone in a vase. Choose a freshly prepared bouquet, or have a custom bouquet made for you on the spot, which comes complete with a packet of flower food.
- Arugula — It’s young, clean and flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Cherry Tomatoes — In mixed pints.
- Heirloom Tomatoes — Lovely.
- Basil — Fresh cut.
- Blackberries — In pints. Limited.
Yours in the garden and at the markets,