This Saturday, August 5, it’s all about the tomato, as the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) celebrates its favorite fruit at the 12th Annual Tomato Festival in conjunction with National Farmers Market Week (August 5-11). The Market runs from 8 am to 12 noon.
Hattie will be among the HLFM vendors with an extraordinary array of delicious local tomatoes just picked and ready for the table. In addition, you can expect other vendors to offer a multitude of other fresh, local fruits and vegetables, baked goods, grass-fed meats and poultry, and locally-produced farm products. There will also be tomato pies, sun-dried tomato bagels, tomato jams and chutney, tomato breads, salsa, and other tomato-based offerings.
A fun time is in store for all age groups with events such as tomato games, recipe contests, face-painting for children, temporary rub-on tattoos, the market’s version of Corn Hole — Tomato Hole — for children, and guess the number of cherry tomatoes (and new this year are both Adult Guess Jar and Children’s Guess Jar).
From 9:30 to 11 a.m. you can sample wonderful tomato dishes prepared by 12 of the the best local chefs in Delaware, partnered with twelve farmers at the Market to create mouth-watering, bite-size treats. Customers can then stock up on the tomato varieties that have actually been used in the recipes. Hattie will be partnered with Drew from Striper Bites.
The HLFM encourages market patrons to wear red to celebrate this year’s fabulous crop of tomatoes, National Farmers Market Week, and the Historic Lewes Farmers Market Tomato Festival.
Patrons may also enter the raffle for the free bicycle that the HLFM gives away every year to encourage all to bike or walk (if able) to the Market.
What’s Available This Week
- Heirloom Tomatoes — Several types of Heirloom tomatoes and pints of mixed cherry tomatoes in all colors and sizes.
- Patty Pan Squash — Nutty and delicious summer squash that can be grilled or sauteed in just minutes.
- Green Beans — Tender.
- Garlic — Fabulous hard-neck Garlic.
- Scallions — Young and delicious.
- Young Arugula — Limited supply (at the Garden on Thursday and Friday only).
- Loose Leaf lettuce — Limited supply (at the Garden on Thursday and Friday only).
- Potatoes — Newly harvested. On Saturday at the HLFM only.
- Cucumbers — Newly harvested. On Saturday at the HLFM only.
- Specialty cut flowers — Choose a freshly prepared beautiful bouquet or have a custom bouquet made on the spot. Each bouquet comes with flower food, and is guaranteed to last at least a week.
Yours in the Garden & at the Markets,