The summer crowds are thinning out, and school is back in session. This is a great time of year to take advantage having nice weather and getting around a bit easier.
Not only can you easily get around to find fresh produce at reasonable prices, but you also have the benefit of knowing where exactly the products you purchase are sourced from, and in some instances, how they were made.
We are ready to welcome the approaching fall season — most of our fall crops such as carrots, radishes, beets, kale, lettuce, and other greens have been planted weeks ago. We will continue to plant throughout September for a plentiful fall and early winter harvest.
We enjoyed the opportunity to be part of the Wednesday Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) at Crooked Hammock, and are sad to see it end with the Labor Day holiday. But we continue to attend the HLFM on Saturday mornings from 8 to 12, which runs through November 23 this year.
Our new hours for September are 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays.
What’s Available This Week
This week we will have the following available at Hattie’s Garden Thursday and Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., and at the HLFM located at George H.P. Smith Park. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
- Green Beans — Tender and delightful.
- Arugula — We have a nice batch to harvest this week.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Hakurei Turnips — The sweet small white globes taste nothing like the “turnip” you may be used to eating. The lovely greens are smooth and absolutely delicious when steamed or boiled until tender (only a few minutes). The turnips themselves can be eaten raw or lightly cooked. We prefer to steam or boil the whole turnip plant together!
- Red Radishes — The first of our fall vegetables!
- Cherry Tomatoes — Mixed pints of cherry tomatoes as well as half pints of the delicious Jasper cherry tomatoes. Jasper is a little red cherry with big flavor.
- Fresh Basil — Freshly cut.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — Our flowers this week include lovely Benary Giant Zinnias, cheery Gomphrena, and beautiful Tall Blue Ageratum. Each of our flower cuttings, which will last you at least a full week, are pretty enough to stand alone in a vase. Choose a freshly prepared bouquet, or have a custom bouquet made for you on the spot, which comes complete with a packet of flower food.
Yours in the garden,