Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 1/2 c. cooked mashed sweet potatoes–Maybe a bit more…I like to really fill up my pie crust
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 lump melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lemon extract–or a bit of lemon juice
- 2 c. milk
- 1 large can evaporated milk (undiluted)–or cream
- 2 egg whites beaten stiff
- Strain and pour into unbaked pie shells
- Bake at 400 degrees until firm, about 35-40 minutes.
- Makes two 9-inch pies–or cut the recipe in half for one
I will admit I do not fuss with separating the eggs and whipping the egg whites and it still is a delicious pie! Use white sweet potatoes or the orange/red ones. Organically grown sweet potatoes are always so sweet by themselves that I never use all the sugar the recipe calls for.