Hattie’s Garden open Wednesday and Thursday, 2 to 5 — See below for directions.
We hope you love sweet potatoes and winter squash as much as we do since Hattie’s Garden is happy to be adding to the line of produce grown by our friends at Deep Grass Organic in Greenwood, DE. Many of you know Bruce and Carmen. They have been long-time participants at both the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) and Rehoboth Beach Farmers Market. Their experience as growers is deep and their produce is always top-notch and offered at a great price.
Deep Grass is one of a very few farmers offering excellent organic produce in our area — especially staples like potatoes, onions, winter squash and sweet potatoes for the “off-season.” In addition, Deep Grass Nursery (their official name) grows high-quality vegetable and herb transplants especially for organic farmers all over the east coast. Their top notch operation helps to fill a very important need for small organic farmers who often do not have adequate resources to grow all of their own transplants. We feel privileged to work with them.
Because the HLFM is a producer-only market, all produce we sell from Deep Grass will only be available at Hattie’s Garden on Wednesday and Thursday from 2-5.
Hattie’s Garden Delivery/Pickup service to begin Saturday, December 3
Hattie’s Garden will be moving into our off-season service on Saturday, December 3. For produce, in addition to Deep Grass, we will again feature plenty of leafy greens and other fall vegetables from Betsy Thornton of Chesapeake Organic. Betsy was unable to attend the HLFM this season, but is still growing and we look forward to enjoying her fall produce. We will soon begin updating our website with a list of the many other vendors for this season’s delivery/pickup service.
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available this week at Hattie’s Garden on Wednesday and Thursday from 2 to 5. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements. We will also be at the HLFM on Saturday from 9 to 12 at the Richard Shields School parking lot. Please note new fall market hours and location!.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Young and tender mix of several lettuce varieties, triple washed.
- Mesclun — A mixture of our tender lettuces, kale and a bit of arugula, triple-washed.
- Premium Kale (Early Hanover) — A soft-leaf, tender young kale. Very flavorful, Early Hanover is actually a dark bluish-green Siberian variety. Perfect for juicing, salads eating, or cooking.
- Red Russian Kale — A wonderfully sweet kale, certainly young enough to be eaten raw, the sweetness really comes out with a bit of cooking.
- Hakurei Turnips — Our favorite to talk about at market. We have nearly a perfect record of delight with this “turnip.” Everyone who tries this delicacy comes back for more and is amazed. We specialize in dispelling the preconceived notion of what a turnip is! This Japanese turnip is small, sweet and delicious, either raw or cooked. It needs no peeling and the greens are smooth and tender, not hairy and tough like store bought “turnip greens”.
- Lisianthus Bouquets — Many of our customers have been delighted with the small, elegant Lisianthus bouquets. They contain a mixture of very long-lasting flowers including Lisianthus, Tall Blue Ageratum, Gomphrena and Celosia. They are just gorgeous and the bouquet we have in our kitchen delights us over and over again.
- Deep Grass Organic — available only at Hattie’s Garden on Wednesday & Thursday — gorgeous-tasting Butternut Squash, sweet, nutty-flavored Acorn Squash, delicious Sweet Potatoes, yummy Red Bliss Potatoes, all-purpose Yukon Gold potatoes, essential Garlic heads, Red Onions, Copra Onions, and Candy Yellow Onions.
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Rd. (Also known as Rt. 1D) coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South). Kendale Rd. is a short link (.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam and the garden at 31341 Kendale is located near the Beaver Dam Rd. intersection — five houses from that intersection on the left hand side. The house has purple trim and you will see a large hoophouse or “high tunnel” in the back as you drive into the driveway.
We hold our sales in the large garage attached to the house. Enter the garage through a door in the side of the garage, just behind the house.
From the City of Lewes:
Travel on Savannah Rd and cross Rt. 1 as though traveling to Georgetown on Rt. 9, but take an immediate left and then an immediate right to access Rt. 23 South (Beaver Dam Rd). Rt. 23 runs roughly parallel to Rt. 9. Continue 3 miles and turn left onto Kendale Rd. Look for the purple trim on our house after a short distance of about a tenth of a mile.
From Rehoboth Beach:
Travel north on Rt. 1 and take a left at Rt. 24. Take a right onto Plantation Rd.–the first major intersection–and then a left onto Robinsonville Rd. (1.9 miles). Travel just under 3 miles and take a right onto Kendale Rd. Travel .5 miles on Kendale and 31341 will be on the right toward the end of this short road.
Yours in the Garden and at the Market,