In honor of an occasional glimpse of the sun and the slowly improving weather, we will hold a plant sale at Hattie’s Garden on Thursday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. so you can start planting your gardens.
Please note: we will not attend the Garden Shack Farmers Market until late June due to the time we missed in the garden with all the rain events.
If the time frame of Thursday afternoon does not work for you, please email Hattie so we can make other arrangements for you to stop by the garden this week.
Alternate Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Due to Robinsonville Rd being closed from Cedar Grove to Kendale Road, consider using Beaver Dam Road (Rt. 23) instead. For most of you, travel as though you were going to Lowes and then continue south on Beaver Dam Road. Travel just under three miles to Kendale Road and take a left onto Kendale. Hattie’s Garden is the 5th house on the left. Look for purple trim and green shingles.
HLFM Opens This Saturday
Hattie’s Garden will be at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) this Saturday, May 14, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The HLFM is celebrating its 11th season. The HLFM will be at a new venue this year located on the beautiful grounds of the George H.P. Smith Park at the corner of Dupont and Johnson Avenues.
For good parking and easy access, use Sussex Drive off of Savannah Road and park in one of the school parking lots. Follow the signs. You can enter directly into the market from the parking lot behind the school.
Plants Available This Week
We will have the following plants for your home garden.
- Vegetable Plants
- Tomatoes — Beautiful selection of Heirloom, Hybrid and Cherry tomato varieties.
- Peppers — Hot, Sweet, and Bell Pepper Plants.
- Eggplants — Asian and Italian varieties.
- Lettuce — An array of mix and head lettuce.
- Squash — Wonderful summer squash includes Patty Pan and Zephyr.
- Cucumber Plants — In four-packs (can be divided).
- Flower Plants
- Benary Giant Cutting Zinnias — In mixed or individual colors.
- Bedding Zinnias — Beautiful and heat tolerant.
- French Marigolds — Great for cheering up any garden.
- Double Click Cosmos — Mixed, Cranberry and Rose Bonbon varieties.
- Nasturtiums — In large pots.
- Herb Plants
- Parsley — Flat ‘Giant of Italy’ and Curly ‘Krausa’.
- Bouquet Dill — Delightful herb with many culinary uses.
- Calypso Cilantro — Excellent eating quality and lots of leaves on this variety.
- Berggarten Sage — The flavor of this common sage is excellent.
- Chives — Hardy perennial with lilac-colored flowers that bloom in June and July.
- Greek Oregano — If you want to “true” oregano, Greek Oregano is the one to plant.
- Thyme — English and Lemon varieties.
- Rosemary ‘Arp’ — A delightful culinary rosemary.
- Genovese-type Basil — High-yielding Dolly and authentic Italian Large Leaf.
- 12″ Oval Herb Planters — with Chives, Greek Oregano, English Thyme, Flat Parsley, Berggarten Sage.
Produce Available This Week
This week we will harvest young Arugula, lovely Mesclun consisting of a nice mix of beet greens, young kale, young arugula and gourmet lettuce mix, crunchy Radishes, beautiful Scallions and our first batch of Hakurei Turnips. Please look in the blue coolers for our produce.
We look forward to seeing you at the Garden on Thursday or at the opening market of the HLFM on Saturday at the new location at H.P. Smith Park in Lewes.
Yours in the garden and market,