Hattie’s Garden summer schedule: We will be open on Thursdays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., beginning this Thursday, July 10.
We know some of you like the extra opportunity to get fresh produce during the week, especially if you are unable to make it to the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) on Saturdays.
What’s Available This Week
We will have the following items both at the house this Thursday and at the HLFM on Saturday, July 12 from 8 p.m. to 12 p.m. If you are not able to visit on Thursday, as well as unable to come to the HLFM, please email Hattie so she can make arrangements with you. Our address is 31341 Kendale Rd, Lewes, DE.
- Tomatoes – This week, we are able to offer a good amount of tomatoes, both large and cherry-sized. Cherries will come in both mixed pints and specific varieties as quantity allows. We will also have some large heirloom Cherokee Purple as well as some very flavorful medium-sized hybrid tomatoes. We grow our hybrids for flavor only and never for shipping or “keeping” qualities.
We have two new tomatoes featured this week, both developed by De Ruiter Seeds.
- Tomimaru Mucho – developed for the Japanese market, this is a beautiful pink-raspberry colored tomato of about 6-7 ounces with thin skin and wonderful flavor. The Tomimaru Mucho tomato is considered one of the best-tasting tomatoes. The natural umami in this tomato results in a lingering flavor, and it’s ideal used on sandwiches and in salads.
- Rebelski Beefsteak – developed for the French market that appreciates lightly ruffled tomatoes, this great tasting tomato does not sacrifice flavor for shelf life and disease resistance and has a very nice texture when ripe.
Other nice varieties are coming along and so far the plants look great!
- Patty Pan Squash – This delightful summer squash has a round and shallow shape with scalloped edges. The name “pattypan” derives from “a pan for baking a patty.” It can be prepared anyway you might prepare summer squash, such as zucchini, but holds up much better to uses, such as grilling as it has a nice firm texture. Flavor is very pleasing, almost nutty.
- Hakurei Turnips – this is really our last batch until September since these turnips really do not like the summer heat.
- Swiss Chard – our Swiss Chard is still very nice this summer and we try to keep it crisp for you.
- Salad Greens includes Young Arugula, and a limited supply of Loose Leaf Lettuce.
- Fresh Cut Herbs includes Basil, Dill and Parsley.
- Fresh cut Flowers which we assemble into lovely, individually-wrapped bouquets. Our cuttings this week include:
Each bouquet comes with a packet of flower food. These bouquets should last at least a full week for you as we cut and condition them professionally.
Yours in the garden and at the table…