The first day of summer is almost upon us. It officially begins this Friday, June 21, 2019 at 11:54 a.m.
For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, this marks the longest day of sunlight in 2019 for anyone living north of the equator. It’s the moment when the sun is directly over the Tropic of Cancer, or 23.5 degrees north latitude.
You can find us on this week at Hattie’s Garden, Tuesday through Friday from 2 to 5 p.m., at the Wednesday Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) from 8 to 11, located by the Crooked Hammock Brewery on King’s Highway near Dartmouth Drive, and the Saturday HLFM from 8 to 12, located on the grounds of the George H.P. Smith Park at the corner of Dupont and Johnson Avenues,
If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
What’s Available This Week
We know everyone has been asking for tomatoes and we sure do understand! We are almost there with our mixed cherry tomato pints and our lovely little Jasper half-pints. We hope to begin bringing them to you by the last week of June. Hang in there. We can’t wait either! In the meantime, please enjoy our freshly harvested produce. We have a few new items listed below.
- Jade Green Beans — Tender texture, sweet flavor and simply delicious.
- Gold Rush Wax Beans — Tender and succulent.
- Loose leaf lettuce — A delightful variety of colors, shapes and textures. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Arugula — It’s young, clean and flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Mesclun — A mixture of young lettuce and arugula. Triple-washed & bagged.
- Red Swiss Chard — In bunches. Limited.
- Hakurei Turnips — This white salad turnip sets the standard for flavor. Use both the greens and the turnips (which don’t need to be peeled).
- Scallions — Sweet and mild. They can be used raw or cooked.
- Young Sierra Blanca Onions — This is a nice, mild sweet-white onion.
- Herbs — Fresh cut Dill and Cilantro.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — Flowers this week include Zinnias, Snapdragons, Dianthus, Ageratum, and Cosmos. Choose a freshly prepared bouquet, or have a custom bouquet made for you on the spot.
Yours in the garden and at the markets,