Hattie’s Garden will be open this week on Wednesday, November 9 and Thursday, November 10 from 10 to 2 for the sale of produce, meat, eggs, cheese, and fish. We will not be at the Fall Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) this Saturday, November 12, but will return for the final market on November 19, Saturday from 9 to 12.
Stop by this week for crisp, fresh, delicious fall crops from our garden including young carrots, small red cherriette radishes, tender Dwarf Siberian kale, Fordhook Swiss chard, lovely young bok choi. We are also harvesting new beds of young lettuce mix and young arugula. And don’t forget about our microgreens! We are introducing new choices each week. In addition to our usual choices, get wasabi with a bit of spice, or Austrian winter peas with a delicious, fresh pea taste.
We continue to stock wonderful food from our vendors. Right now, AlaskaWild is providing us with some of the best wild fish available, directly from Alaska such as Sockeye Salmon, Cajun or black pepper smoked salmon, Alaska Cod and Alaska Rockfish. This fish is flash-frozen immediately, and gets rave reviews from our customers. AlaskaWild is a family business fishing off the Kenai peninsula. Regulated by the state of Alaska, fishing in these waters is closely monitored, follows strict conservation practices and is tightly regulated to maintain sustainability in the ecosystem and a sustainable livelihood for the families that have relied on fishing these waters for generations.
From our other vendors we have an array of aquaponic lettuce from 302 Aquaponics, pasture-raised chicken from Dittmar Farms, free-range beef and pork from Woodbine Farms, delicious cheese from Chapel’s Country Creamery, free-range chicken eggs from Twin Post Farm, and honey from Chrissy’s Bees.
Winter/Off-Season Pickup/Delivery Service begins December 3
We will begin our winter/off-season pickup and delivery service the first weekend in December. As we normally do, we will take Thanksgiving week off, and you will receive an email with details and our first order form on Sunday, November 27. Deadline for ordering is always Tuesday evening at 8 p.m. and the Garden will be then open for pickup or casual shopping on Saturdays from 9 to 2. We will not have mid-week hours beginning in December, but plenty of good food available for shopping on Saturdays if you forget to place an order.
What’s Available from Hattie
The following freshly harvested produce is available at Hattie’s Garden on Wednesday, November 9 and Thursday, November 10 from 10 to 2.
- Cherriette Radishes — These candy apple red globes have a delicious sweet and spicy flavor.
- Young Napoli Carrots — Sweet, crispy and delicious.
- Young Bok Choi — Delicate flavor that works great in salads, green mixes, and stir-frys.
- Austrian Winter Pea Microgreens — These taste sweet and delicious, almost identical to sugar snap peas. The greens are also high in protein and micronutrients.
- Arugula Microgreens — One of our most popular microgreens because of its distinctive spicy and nutty flavor.
- Wasabi Microgreens — These microgreens are not hot; rather, they are spicy.
- Triton Red Stem Radish Microgreens — Spicy and good!
- Mixed Microgreens — Kale, kohlrabi, red cabbage and mizuna.
- Young Arugula — Triple-washed and bagged.
- Young Lettuce mix — Triple-washed and bagged.
- Young Fordhook Swiss Chard — Add to salads, stir fries, soups, or sauté with garlic and olive oil.
- Young Dwarf Siberian Kale — A tasty Russian variety with flat, blue-green leaves. We pick this variety young and tender to make it a versatile kale. Eat it raw in salads or smoothies, or lightly cook for even more flavor.
What’s Available from our Other Vendors
The following meat, eggs, cheese, fish and other food products are available at Hattie’s Garden on November 9 and Thursday, November 10 from 10 to 2.
- AlaskaWild Seafoods — Flash frozen, wild-caught salmon, rockfish and cod.
- 302 Aquaponics — Beautiful aquaponic lettuce that includes romaine, leafy lettuce and butterhead.
- Dittmar Farms Chicken — Pasture raised chicken is naturally tender and juicy. They get plenty of healthy forage and eat a natural diet from Delmarva Feed. We will be carrying whole and half chickens.
- Chapel’s Country Creamery — Lots of delicious cheese made from the milk of their pastured cows.
- Woodbine Farm (an affiliate of Chapel’s Country Creamery) — Pasture-raised pork and beef.
- Twin Post Farm — Free-range chicken eggs from Princess Anne County.
- Chrissy’s Bees — Dutch Clover honey.
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Road (also known as Rt. 1D), coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South).
Kendale Rd. is a short road (0.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam Road. The house is fifth on the left from Beaver Dam Rd, and has a large wooden fence in front of house with purple trim.
Park in the graveled area facing the fence. Produce and food is located inside the garage and you may enter through the side door. Just follow the signs.
Yours in the Garden and at the Market,