As we head into Memorial Day weekend, you can stop by Hattie’s Garden on Tuesday, May 23 & Thursday, May 25 from 10 to 4, and then on Sunday, May 28 from 10 to 2, for the sale of produce, meat, eggs, cheese, fish and plants for your home gardens. We will also be at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at the George H.P. Smith Park on Saturday, May 27 from 8 to 12.
What’s Available This Week From Hattie
The following freshly harvested produce will be available at the Garden on Tuesday, May 23 from 10 to 4, Thursday, May 25 from 10 to 4, at the HLFM on Saturday, May 27, and back at the Garden on Sunday, May 28 from 10 to 2. After this coming Sunday, we will be shifting our open hours at the Garden as we move into our new summer schedule. Beginning in June, we will be open at the Garden only on Thursday from 10 to 4, and you can find us at the HLFM Markets on Wednesday and Saturday.
- Bacchus Radishes — These rich colored purple radishes are delicious.
- Young Carrots — Freshly harvested. Tender and delicious.
- Scallions — Beautiful freshly-harvested bunches.
- Hakurei Turnips — Sweet, mild white salad turnips are good raw or lightly cooked.
- Young Arugula — Triple-washed and bagged.
- Young Mixed Lettuce — Triple-washed and bagged.
- Mesclun — Triple-washed and bagged.
- Swiss Chard — Delightfully tender, early, young Swiss chard is suitable for salad use, triple-washed and bagged.
- Mojito Mint — Freshly cut. This mint, rather than spearmint, gives the authentic mojito taste, with a milder flavor and hints of citrus.
What’s Available from our Other Vendors
The following meat, eggs, cheese, fish and other food products are available at the Garden on Tuesday, May 23 & Thursday, May 25 from 10 to 4, and Sunday, May 28 from 10 to 2.
- AlaskaWild Seafoods — Flash frozen, wild-caught salmon, rockfish and cod.
- Chapel’s Country Creamery — Farmstead artisan cheese that taste as good as they look. The cows are not given any synthetic growth or production-enhancing hormones, just a lot of love and attention.
- Enoch Farms — Sustainably raised, naturally grown, heritage pork.
- Marble Head Farm — Pasture-raised pork and beef.
- Twin Post Farm — Free-range chicken eggs from Princess Anne County.
- Chrissy’s Bees — Dutch Clover and Wildflower Honey.
- Backyard Jams & Jellies — Dozens of delicious of jams, jellies (including no-sugar options), mustards and chutneys.
Plants, Plants, Plants
Memorial Day weekend is generally known as a traditional planting time, and we have an absolute abundance of plants that will thrive and you will love. Get a jump start on your home gardens, as well as avoid the crowds and traffic by going to Hattie’s Garden this Tuesday, May 23 and Thursday, May 25 from 10 to 4, as well as Sunday, May 28 from 10 to 2. While we will bring as many plants as possible to the HLFM, our space is limited. The best selection will always be at the Garden during our open hours.
Take a look at our plant section on Hattie’s Garden website for a complete list. We have an amazing selection of plants for you that include tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, squash, cucumbers, lettuce, arugula, lots and lots of herbs, zinnias, cosmos, marigolds and more.
We have beautiful herb planters this year featuring English thyme, Greek Oregano, Chives, Curly Parsley and Berggarten Sage. These herb planters come in two sizes and can be brought into the kitchen for use while cooking. Though it may seem like a lot of herbs in one planter, the herbs simply adapt to the size of the container they are in. There are enough nutrients in the planter to last for the season. When fall arrives, you can plant the herbs outside, or overwinter and re-pot them next spring.
Remember we use only the best organic soil available to grow our plants. We get our soil from Vermont Compost Company and have found no better biologically active, compost-based soil anywhere. Your plants will thrive because they have already developed a sophisticated root system, only possible through the exchanges facilitated by the growth of beneficial bacteria and fungi enabled by this carefully crafted compost based soil.
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Road (also known as Rt. 1D), coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South).
Kendale Rd. is a short road (0.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam Road. The house is fifth on the left from Beaver Dam Rd, and has a large wooden fence in front of house with purple trim.
Park in the graveled area facing the fence. If you don’t see us, you may toot your horn. We could be processing things in the garage or working outside in the garden.
Reminder that you do not need an appointment. Simply show up during our open hours of operation. We prefer cash or checks, but do have the capability to take credit cards if necessary.
Yours in the Garden and the Market,