Plants for Sale on Wednesday, April 29 and Thursday, April 30
This week our list of available plants has grown and will continue to grow as we progress into May. In addition to tomatoes, flowers, and vegetable plants, we now have peppers and eggplant plants available, as well as some of our herb plants.
If you would like more information on any of the plants, they are listed on our website with full descriptions. We are waiting growth for many of our plants and they will be available over the coming weeks. The weather will surely warm and we can expect an enormous spike in growth any day now!
How the plant sale will work this week
We are refining our system. We like the time-slot design we used last week. Simply reply to this email with plants you would like and we pull them for you from our greenhouse and assign you a ten-minute time-slot on Wednesday or Thursday when you can pick them up. Please arrive at Hattie’s Garden at the appointed time. When you get here, PLEASE remain in your car. Someone will assist you. We will have already pulled your order and we will place your plants in your car.
The only difference this week is that Hattie will reply to your email with the amount due and we ask that you bring a check and drop into a box we will have for you. We sent out invoices to you for last week’s plants, but it has proven to be far too labor intense and adds a credit card charge that we feel is somewhat onerous for customers making small purchases.
Plants Available This Week
Flowers — See our flower page on the website
- Oklahoma Zinnias — large 4-packs are $6 each
- Pumila Mix Zinnias — large 4-packs are $6 each
- Dreamland Zinnias — short 18″ plants with large blooms, small 6 pack, $5 each
- Brocade Marigolds — small 4-packs are $4 each
- Lemondrop Marigolds — small 4-packs are $4 each
- Jewel Nasturtium — 4-packs, $6 each
Sweet Bell Peppers — See our Sweet Bell Peppers section on the website
- Revolution — excellent blocky, large green bell
- Flavorburst — excellent sweet, fruity yellow bell
- Purple Beauty — productive, attractive deep purple bell
- Gilboa Orange — blocky, bright orange bell
Sweet Peppers — See our Sweet Peppers section on the website
- Lipstick — small, thick skinned, extra sweet and juicy
- Carmen — wonderful Italian sweet frying pepper
- Cubanelle — thin-walled, quick cooking, sweet flavor
- Hungarian Boldog — sweet and wonderful, dry for paprika or eat fresh
Hot Peppers — See our Hot Peppers section on the website
- Shishito — this pepper offers a moderate but distinctive heat
- Czech’s Hot Black — mild heat, small and beautiful
- Jalafuego Jalapeno — excellent variety
- Pablano — known as Ancho when dried
- Serrano — hotter than jalapeno
- Cayenne — hotter than serrano
Vegetables — See our vegetable page on the website
- Green leaf lettuce — small 6 packs are $4 each
- Red Sails leaf lettuce — small 6-packs are $4 each
- Buttercrunch Butterhead — small 6 packs are $4 each
- Blushed Butter Oakleaf — small 6 packs are $4 each
- Olga Romaine — small 6 packs are $4 each
- Forellenschluss romaine — small 6 packs are $4 each
- Spinach — small 6-packs are $4 each
- Fordhook Green Swiss Chard — small 4-packs are $4 each
- Bali Red Swiss Chard — small 4-packs are $4 each
- Sunburst Pattypan Squash — 2 cells w/ 2-3 plants each, $3
- Bennings Green Tint Pattypan Squash — 2 cells w/ 2-3 plants each, $3
- Black Zucchini — 2 cells w/ 2-3 plants each, $3
- Saffron Yellow Summer Squash — 2 cells w/ 2-3 plants each, $3
Paste Tomatoes — See our Paste Tomato section on the website
- Opalka Paste — meaty red paste tomato with few seeds.
- San Marzano Paste — famous Italian plum tomato.
- Amish Paste — great flavor for cooking, canning or fresh eating.
Heirloom Tomatoes — See our Heirloom Tomato section on the website
- Jubilee Orange Tomato — Perfect for salads, salsas, cooking, canning and making tomato juice.
- Pineapple Bicolor — The gorgeous, delectable Pineapple heirloom tomato is one of our absolute favorites to grow and eat.
- Cherokee Purple — With a rich, complex sweet flavor you find in only your sophisticated heirlooms.
- German Johnson — Sweet and delicious Brandywine type, but with much better yields.
Hybrid Tomatoes — See our Hybrid Tomato section on the website
- Juliet — Small paste or large grape tomato.
- New Girl — Produces medium sized 4 to 6 ounce fruits nice and early in the season.
- Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye — Deep, sweet, earthy complex flavor with a port wine color and green stripes.
- Big Beef — Old-time tomato flavor and large beefsteak size of 10 to 12 ounces in a hybrid.
- Celebrity — A great, all-round, dependable choice for your “basic” tomato needs — sandwiches, slicing, snacks, etc.
Cherry Tomatoes — See our Cherry Tomato section on the website
- Sun Gold — A perfect combination of deep sweetness with a hint of acid tartness.
- Jasper — We sell little half-pints of these at market and they are extremely popular with our customers and a real favorite of children.
- Yellow Pear — Popular, sweet, tasty and crack-resistant little pear-shaped goodies.
- Tommy Toe — This heirloom from the Ozark Mountains is excellent in salads or for juices.
- Black Cherry — Two-bite cherries with the dusky color and complex flavor typical of the best black tomatoes—juicy and delicious.
- Honey Bunch Grape — The Honeybunch gets its name due to the incredible, luscious over-the-top, honey-like sweetness that could be habit-forming.
- White Cherry — They have a very pleasant sweet/tart flavor.
- Super Sweet 100 — Classic sweet, red cherry tomato.
Eggplant Plants — all are in 4″ pots and are $5 each. See our Eggplant page on the website
- Galine — prolific Italian eggplant
- Orient Express — productive Asian eggplant
Herb Plants — This week we have ‘Krausa’ Curly Parsley in small 6 packs at $6. We expect much more in the coming weeks.
Thanks for planting Hattie’s Garden plants. If your appointed pickup time doesn’t work for you, please let us know and we will make an arrangement at a more convenient time.
Yours in the greenhouse,