Hattie’s Garden is offering a Plant CSA for this spring.
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and as you may know, is a model that allows a farmer’s community to support him or her through advance purchase of expected produce or in this case, plants. The farmer is able to purchase costly inputs at a time of year when cash is very tight.
We are offering an opportunity to pre-buy vegetable, herb, and flower plants for your garden for approximately a 10% savings. And you get first pick options at our plant sale along with top notch gardening advice.
We always grow a marvelous range of vegetable plants, cutting flowers, bedding flowers and a multitude of herbs at Hattie’s Garden. Our customers are amazed at how well our plants do for them. We use a certified organic compost-based, living soil potting mix from Vermont Compost Company. There is none better. We have tried many different types of organic potting soils and have never found one that even remotely approaches the health and vigor this soil gives to our plants. Of course, we also give them plenty of tender loving care!
The order form for the Plant CSA allows you to select from the following five categories: flowers, herbs, tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. We will also have a general all-purpose category if you are unsure now of how you will use your CSA plant credit.
The dollar amount of each CSA will vary for each customer according to your needs. Because of the increase in many of our costs over the years, 4-inch pots will increase from $4.00 to $4.50 in 2015. However, CSA participants will be offered the option to buy herbs, tomatoes, peppers and eggplants at the 2014 prices of $4 each for 4-inch pots.
Bedding and cutting flowers will vary in container size and are difficult to quantify at this time, so CSA participants will be offered a flat 10% discount.
We also offer the opportunity to choose from a general category if you are unsure now of how you will use your CSA plant credit, but want to take advantage of the savings offered in the Plant CSA.
All the credits are transferable from one category to another, but for those who have a good idea of what they wish to plant, these pre-selections will help us with our growing schedule.
If you participate in the Plant CSA, you will also benefit from our Plant Sale early openings and be invited to attend plant sales prior to our opening to the general public.
What plants and varieties will be available?
Please look at our plant section on the website. We will be updating some of the offerings, but most of the plants listed for 2014 will be available for 2015. Once the year changes on our website to 2015, you will know we have finished updating our lists. Please email Hattie if you have any special requests. We will try to accommodate you.
When will plants be available?
We normally have our first planting ready by about the third week in April for those people who like to start early. We will have several plantings of everything and you can expect a weekly plant sale at the garden ever week throughout all of May and into early June.
You will also find our plants at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) beginning the second weekend in May. Due to space limitations at the HLFM, please come to the garden sales for the best selection.
Is There a Deadline for Buying CSA Plant Credits?
Yes. The deadline for purchasing CSA Plant credits is March 15 and the order form will remain available on the Hattie’s Plant page until that time. The deadline for payment is April 1, after which time all unpaid orders will be voided.
Do my credits expire?
Your CSA Plant Credits do not expire. You may use them to buy produce or plants throughout the year. We carry our CSA records with us at all times and you may check the notebook to see what you have left anytime you wish.
How to Order Plant CSA Credits
- Go to the Plant CSA Order Form. This form will be available through March 15.
- Select the quantities of 4-inch-sized herb, tomato, eggplant and pepper plants you wish to order at $4 for each.
- Flowers and the all-purpose “general” category are calculated at a 10% discount. Select the quantities you wish to order in $25 increments, at $22.50 each.
- A confirmation of your order is automatically generated when you “submit” your order and is sent to the email address you provide. If you do not receive your confirmation, email us immediately, so we can resolve the issue. Within 24 hours, you will also receive an invoice generated by Quickbooks.
- Please pay the invoice prior to the deadline of April 1. We will only accept checks or cash for the CSA credits. On April 1, any outstanding invoices will be voided, so be sure to remit your payment as soon as possible to secure your CSA Plant Credits.
- Once you have paid, you will receive a statement indicating that you are paid in full. This statement serves as your record of your Plant CSA purchase. We will also retain a record of all CSA plant credits at all plant sales and at the HLFM.
Ready to get started? Order now.
Yours in the potting shed,