This week, Hattie’s Garden will feature beautiful lisianthus, a gorgeous flower, similar to a rose without the thorns.
This is definitely the flower that make people ooh and ahh. It’s so elegant, you’d never guess it’s native to American prairies.
And lisianthus is one of the best cut flowers — it will last in the vase for 2 to 3 weeks where its multiple blossoms will continue to open.
If you’re having trouble pronouncing this Lisianthus, this video shows you how.
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available at Hattie’s Garden this Thursday or Friday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) on Saturday, July 18 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. For sales at the Garden, we setup our produce and flowers inside the garage. Enter through the side door, just behind the house. Someone will be there to help you.
- Haricot Vert — delicious gourmet slender green beans.
- Cherry Tomatoes — in mixed pints.
- Heirloom tomatoes — a few of our first ripening heirloom tomatoes will also be ready and look amazing!
- Blackberries — these are going to be scarce this year, but we should have a couple pints to offer at the Garden only.
- Sweet Peppers — includes Green Bell and Sweet Banana.
- Yellow Papaya Squash — a nice flavorful summer squash that continues to produce rave reviews from our customers.
- Patty Pan Squash — also called scalloped squash, they may be braised, steamed, roasted, or grilled whole. Larger ones may be hollowed out and stuffed or even used as soup bowls. Slicing them horizontally also makes a nice shape for grilling (or roasting).
- Young Arugula — we have a new bed to harvest this week which should provide enough salad ingredients for most of our arugula loving customers.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Mesclun — mix of young arugula and loose leaf. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Eggplants — we will have a limited amount of Asian and Italian varieties available.
- Herbs — includes Parsley & Sage this week.
- Flowers — all of our flowers have really hit their stride and are absolutely prolific. In addition to the lisianthus, we have bouquet Gladiolus, Gomphrena, Coreopsis, Tall Blue Ageratum, Clary Sage, Mealy Sage, Zinnias, and Pincushion.
We do prepare in advance a few bouquets mixing various flowers, or you can have us make you a custom bouquet with your choice of flowers. All our cut flowers come with a packet of flower food.
Yours in the Garden and Market,