To celebrate NFMW, the United States Postal Service (USPS) will be issuing four Farmers Market postage stamps beginning Aug. 7. These ‘forever’ stamps, pictured above, illustrate the variety of produce available at most markets; breads and other baked goods, cheeses, fruits, flowers, vegetables and plant starts. The stamps are designed by Greg Breeding with beautiful illustrations by Robin Moline.
This is the 8th year the HLFM is hosting this fun event that guarantees a great time for all ages. Events include tomato tastings, games, recipe contests, face-painting and fabulous prizes awarded. Market patrons are encouraged to wear red in support of this event.
The tomatoes at Hattie’s Garden have been very good this summer and you can sample them along with other vendor’s tomatoes at the Tomato Festival. We hope to see you there. But if you can’t make it Saturday and need some mid-week vegetables and flowers, come to Hattie’s Garden on Thursday, August 7 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Or email Hattie to setup an appointment time.
Speaking of the HLFM, Hattie’s Garden would like to thank all of you who braved last Saturday’s rain event and came to the market in support of your local food growers. Some of you had umbrellas, some had raincoats and some of you simply got wet as you shopped for your weekly locally grown groceries. We know how dedicated our customers are when you walk around in the rain visiting your favorite vendors with a smile on your face. It makes it all worthwhile for us and is so important to know that what we do makes a real difference in your lives.
What’s Available This Week from Hattie’s Garden
Thursday, August 7 from 2 – 5 & Saturday, August 9 at the HLFM from 8 – Noon
We are cutting gorgeous new young arugula every week and this week should have a larger supply of freshly cut loose leaf lettuce to go with all those tomatoes!
Below is our list of available items for Thursday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Hattie’s Garden and Saturday at the HLFM.
- Salad Greens – All are triple-washed. We will have very nice Loose Leaf Lettuce, Mesclun consisting of a nice mix of lettuce with enough arugula to give it a little kick, beautiful, clean and very flavorful Young Arugula, and Spicy Arugula which is a leaf that is about one week older than the young and holds up to cooking or just for those of you who prefer something nice and strong.
- Peppers – Both sweet and hot available.
- Eggplant – Limited quantity for our Thursday patrons only.
- Patty Pan Squash – We have many sizes available.
- Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes, medium sized tomatoes and larger tomatoes. We now have some orange tomatoes as well, especially for those who prefer a low-acid tomato.
- Herbs – This week includes Italian Parsley, Chives & Mojito Mint.
- Flowers – We can make you a bouquet to include the flowers you love, or you may chose one of our beautiful arrangements. Flowers this week include Lisianthus, Tall Blue Ageratum, Zinnias, Gomphrena, Gladiolus and Cosmos.
Yours in the garden and at the table…