Wow! We are approaching the middle of August already. We’ve certainly enjoyed our summer, though it has seemed to go fast.
We want to thank all of you who helped to make the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) Tomato Festival an incredible success this year! It was a lovely day and we had a great crowd of people tasting tomato dishes prepared by local chefs. It was a lot of fun and a good time was had by all.
This week Hattie’s Garden will continue to offer beautiful heirloom tomatoes.
Some of our gorgeous Striped German (similar to Pineapple Bicolor) weigh in at nearly two pounds each. They are magnificent and lower in acid than red/pink tomatoes.
German Johnson pink heirlooms are closer to about one pound or a little smaller and have excellent flavor akin to Brandywine with a melting, creamy texture.
Cherokee Purple are somewhat smaller and a sweet, rich, sophisticated heirloom tomato taste with a perfect mixture of acid and sweet for many.
Come by the Garden or the Market for a taste this week. We will sample them for you to taste.
What’s Available This Week
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Very nice & bountiful this week!
- Young Arugula — It’s beautiful, clean and very flavorful.
- Mesclun — A nice mix of lettuce with enough arugula to give it a little kick.
- Young Red Russian Kale — Great for salads or juicing; we will have available limited a quantity at the Garden only this week.
- Heirloom Tomatoes — Gorgeous & ripe includes German Johnson, Striped German and Cherokee Purple.
- Cherry & Grape Tomatoes — Mixed pints in just about every color of the rainbow.
- Eggplant — We have beautiful Asian and Italian varieties.
- Peppers — We have a variety of beautiful sweet and hot peppers, including Carmen Red Italian Frying Peppers and Red Lipstick Peppers.
- Green Beans — Nice and fresh, always picked young.
- Flowers — We can make you a custom bouquet while you wait that will include just the flowers you want, or you may chose from one of our beautiful pre-made arrangements. Each bouquet comes with a packet of flower food. These bouquets should last at least a full week for you as we cut and condition them professionally. Available this week are:
- Gladiolus — Making a comeback; these are gorgeous this week.
- Tall Blue Ageratum — This is a great cut flower with a good vase life. The cool blue color wonderfully sets off the hot colors of other summer flowers such as zinnias.
- Benary Giant Zinnias — These big, bright, and bold flowers are always a favorite.
- Double-click Cosmos — Available in an array of colors such as white, pink, cranberry and rose.
- Gomphrena — A very nice purple filler that can also stand alone.
Yours in the garden and the table,