Our lovely Lisianthus flowers are blooming in time for the 4th of July! We absolutely adore our Lisianthus and find them the most beautiful of all our flowers.
This is a gorgeous flower similar to a rose without the thorns. And so elegant . . . you’d never guess it’s native to American prairies.
This rose-like beauty will last for two to three weeks in your vase, where multiple blossoms will continue to open in your vase.
This week we will begin to include them in bouquets, and in another week, we will be able to offer entire bunches of Lisianthus for sale.
If you’re having trouble pronouncing Lisianthus, the video below will demonstrate.
What’s Available This Week
The following is available this week, beginning tomorrow, July 4th at the the Wednesday Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located by the Crooked Hammock Brewery on King’s Highway near Dartmouth Drive and Rt. 1., on Thursday and Friday at Hattie’s Garden from 2 to 5, and the HLFM on Saturday from 8 to 12.
In addition to Lisianthus, our bouquets include Gomphrena, another long lasting favorite, as well as elegant Cranberry Double-click Cosmos and beautiful Celosia fillers. Add to that our Benary Giant Zinnias and Neon Purple Dianthus and our bouquets will be sure to please.
Each bouquet comes with flower food, and is guaranteed to last at least a week. We suggest you do use the flower food for the longest lasting flowers, best opening blooms and the most vibrant colors.
Produce & Herbs
- Young Arugula — It’s beautiful, clean and very flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Loose Leaf lettuce — Cut at a young and tender stage of growth. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Mesclun — Mix of young arugula and loose leaf. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Leeks — Freshly harvested beautiful young leeks.
- Hakurei Turnips with delicious tops — This white salad turnip sets the standard for flavor. Use both the greens and the turnips (which don’t need to be peeled).
- Patty Pan Squash — Delightful summer squash that can be grilled or sauteed in just minutes.
- Swiss Chard — Delicious. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Flat Italian Parsley — Also known as flat-leaf parsley, Italian parsley is the best variety for cooking.
Plants for Your Garden
This week we have Cutting Zinnias, Bedding Zinnias, and French Marigolds. We continue to plant our cutting flowers throughout the month of July for fresh blooms every week.
Have a safe and happy 4th!
Yours in the Garden & at the Markets,