Hattie’s Garden is harvesting some of the very best flowers of the season. The July heat does not agree with everything, or everyone, but the annual summer flowers seem to be enjoying it immensely!
Particularly nice this week are our gomphrena, celosia, and the nicest tall blue ageratum we have ever grown. These accents mixed with our Dianthus, snapdragons and zinnias create a stunning and long lasting bouquet.
We continue to harvest sweet and delicious cherry tomatoes, big bunches of fresh basil, and have lots and lots of cured onions for your larder.
Our new hours at Hattie’s Garden will be Thursday and Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. When our regular sized tomatoes are ready in a couple weeks, we will resume Tuesday and Wednesday hours.
You can also find us this week on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at Kings Highway across from Crooked Hammock Brewery, and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the HLFM located at George H.P. Smith Park. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
What’s Available This Week
- Walla Walla Onions — Sweet, mild flavor. They are fantastic thinly sliced and served in salads or on top of sandwiches.
- Young Sierra Blanca Onions — This is a nice, mild sweet-white onion.
- Cabernet Red Onions — Did You Know red onions contain compounds called flavonoids which are great antioxidants? These are found mostly in the outer layers, so remove as little of the peel as possible to retain the antioxidants. These onions are great in salads, salsas, and other raw preparations.
- Scallions — Sweet and mild. They can be used raw or cooked.
- Cherry Tomatoes — In mixed pints. Limited.
- Patty Pan Squash — Delightful summer squash that can be grilled or sauteed in just minutes.
- Arugula — It’s young, clean and flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Basil — Fresh cut.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — This week we have Benary Giant Zinnias, Amazon Neon Purple, stunning Double Click Cosmos, Tall Blue Ageratum and plumes of Celosia. Each of our flower cuttings, which will last you at least a full week, are pretty enough to stand alone in a vase. Choose a freshly prepared bouquet, or have a custom bouquet made for you on the spot, which comes complete with a packet of flower food.
Yours in the garden and at the markets,