Hattie’s Garden will be open this Thursday, July 17 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. We hope you will stop by this week (and every week during the summer). We will also be at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) on Saturday, July 19 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Yesterday was our “day off” and we had time to combine our blackberries with peach and blueberries from the farmers market to make a gorgeous pie. Yum!!!! We are including a link to this recipe.
Our blackberries seem to be producing all at once and this would be a good week for you to get them!
What’s Available This Week
We will have the following items both at the house on Thursday and at the HLFM on Saturday. If you are not able to visit on Thursday, as well as unable to come to the HLFM, please email Hattie so she can make arrangements with you.
- Blackberries – These are a delicious source of vitamins A, B, C, E, calcium, fiber and iron. Technically, the blackberry is a drupelet, or a cluster of fruits, and the seed inside each drupelet contributes to the berry’s nutrient value.
- Tomatoes – We have beautiful cherry tomatoes in mixed pints and specific varieties such as Black Cherry. Our nicest heirloom larger tomato this year is Cherokee Purple and it is producing well. Great tasting large and medium hybrids round out our tomato harvest.
- Patty Pan Squash – We just can’t get enough of these.
- Swiss Chard – our Swiss Chard is still very nice. We harvest only young leaves.
- Salad Greens include Young Arugula, Loose Leaf Lettuce and Mesclun
- Basil in large bunches. These are ideal for making pesto and for preparing tomato dishes.
You can put the basil bunch in water on your kitchen counter and it will last for days, even weeks. You can pull leaves off the stems as you need them. Just remember to change the water a couple times a week and don’t let any leaves sit in the water. Refrain from refrigerating your basil as it will turn black.
- Flat Italian Parsley
- Fresh cut Flowers which we assemble into gorgeous, individually-wrapped bouquets. You may also request a custom made bouquet. Each bouquet comes with a packet of flower food. These bouquets should last at least a full week for you. Our cuttings this week include:
- Lisianthus – This gorgeous flower is stunning and lasts in the vase for a couple of weeks. As beautiful as a rose, lisianthus are a very sophisticated and elegant flower.
Yours in the garden and at the table…