Hattie’s Garden Open Thursday & Friday from 12-5, and Saturday from 10-4 for plants and produce.
Not just any tie-die, but Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye. And Hattie’s Garden is thrilled to have these Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye tomato plants ready for you. This is a beautiful beefsteak tomato with a rosy sweet swirl of color and a sweet and complex flavor.
Developed in the Napa Valley at Wild Boar Farms, using heirloom genetics, Pink Berkeley Tie-Die gets a fabulous rating for flavor & color, and growers will love the compact indeterminate nature of this early producing tomato plant. Every bite of this psychedelic-colored beefsteak-type is an experience. The vivid, rosy-blushed fruit has iridescent, green skin with sunny yellow streaks and an interior that’s a fascinating kaleidoscope of green with trails of red and yellow.
We have a few more new tomato varieties we are introducing this year that are described below.
Available Produce This Week
- Hakurei Turnips — Sweet, delicate, small white morsels of delight with the nicest greens of any turnip we have ever seen.
- French Breakfast Radishes — Crisp bite-size with a mildly spicy flavor.
- Arugula — Young and very tasty. Triple-washed.
- Mesclun — A mix of arugula and loose-leaf
- Loose leaf lettuce — Mild and sweet.
- Heirloom lettuce heads — Only available for a short window in the spring.
Plants for Sale This Week
This week we will have a first batch of nearly all our tomatoes, eggplants and peppers ready for you. We also will have tall Benary Giant zinnias (4 to 5 feet!), Oklahoma Zinnias (2-3 feet) and our first batch of bedding zinnias and marigolds. We also have a comprehensive collection of herbs ready to go.
- Tomatoes — Beautiful selection of Heirloom, Hybrid and Cherry tomato varieties.
- Peppers — Hot & Sweet pepper plants.
- Eggplants — Asian and Italian varieties.
- Squash and Cucumber plants.
- Flowers — Includes Cutting Zinnias, Bedding Zinnias & French Marigolds.
- Herbs — Includes Flat and Curly Parsley, Cilantro, Dill, Berggarten Sage, Tri-color Sage, Pineapple Sage, Oregano, English Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Marjoram, Tarragon, Mint, Vietnamese Cilantro, African Blue Basil, Genovese Basil, and more.
We will provide beautiful, organically grown plants for your garden for the remainder of the spring. We start several plantings of most everything so that our plants are ready when you are. Visit our plant section on our website to see all that we grow.
For our tomato lovers, in addition to the beautiful and flavorful Pink Berkeley Tie-Die, we are also excited to introduce a great selection of yellow/orange tomatoes this season. Golden Jubilee, a medium-sized beefsteak at 8-12 ounces, was an All American Selection in 1943. Mild, sweet and smooth, this one has a high Vitamin C content.
For an orange heirloom beefsteak probably over 150 years old and coming in over one pound, try the rich, velvety Dixie Golden Giant, aka Goldie. And for a smaller, sunny orange heirloom, try Valencia. Meaty and rich with few seeds, Valencia is the perfect size for sandwiches.
For unusual cherry tomatoes, you may want to try Indigo Cherry. This is one of the best “blue” tomatoes developed thus far and is dark blue over red when ripe. Indigo Cherry produces an abundance of 1 to 2 ounce fruits. Jasper has also moved to the forefront as a very popular small one-bite cherry tomato, just under 1/2 an ounce, Jasper is a favorite of children (and their parents!). Jasper is an All American Selection from 2013 and is a tremendously productive and disease resistant indeterminate plant.
Please come by Hattie’s Garden this week for a look. If the time frame of 12 to 5 on Thursday & Friday, or 10 to 4 on Saturday doesn’t work for you, please email Hattie so we can make other arrangements.
31341 Kendale Rd is between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam Rd. in Lewes. We are about five houses from Beaver Dam Rd. on the left. Look for the eggplant purple trim on our house.
Yours in the Garden,