We are in the third week in August and can expect a repeat of what we’ve experienced most of this summer — hot temperatures, high humidity, and severe afternoon thunderstorms. Yes, July was the hottest month on record for the planet, but summer hasn’t wanted to ease up on us, and August, for the most part was very hot and humid. The coming week we’re expecting daytime temperatures in the mid 90s and evening temperatures in the high 70s. On Friday, we should get a break with daytime temperatures expecting to drop into the 80s.
We hope you’ve been able to stay out of the worst of the heat, and are making sure when outdoors that you wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. And make sure you stay plenty hydrated (water is best).
Here at the Garden, we cope with this weather as best we can by working very early and then later in the day. The afternoon storms have been almost a blessing as our crops would be suffering even more in this hot streak.
What’s Available This Week
This week we will have the following available at Hattie’s Garden Tuesday through Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., or the Wednesday HLFM Market (by the Crooked Hammock) from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., and of course on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the HLFM located at George H.P. Smith Park. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
- Arugula — It’s young, clean and flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Heirloom Tomatoes — Our heirlooms include Pineapple Bicolor, German Johnson and Cherokee Purple.
- Cherry Tomatoes — Mixed pints in all colors and sizes, and half pints of the delicious Jasper — the kid friendly little cherry everyone loves.
- Basil — We have plenty of fresh cut basil to go with our tomatoes.
- Hakurei Turnips — This white salad turnip sets the standard for flavor. Use both the greens and the turnips (which don’t need to be peeled).
- Specialty Cut Flowers — Our flowers this week include lovely Benary Giant Zinnias, cheery Gomphrena, stunning Double Click Cosmos, and beautiful Tall Blue Ageratum. Each of our flower cuttings, which will last you at least a full week, are pretty enough to stand alone in a vase. Choose a freshly prepared bouquet, or have a custom bouquet made for you on the spot, which comes complete with a packet of flower food.
Yours in the garden and at the markets,