Hattie’s Garden open Thursday and Friday, 2 to 5 — See below for directions.
The final market for Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) 2019 season is this Saturday. Please join us on November 23 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Shields Elementary School parking lot to stock up for Thanksgiving. It has been a great season and many many thanks to all of you for your support, both at the market and here at the Garden.
For your Thanksgiving needs, we are harvesting fresh sage for your turkey seasoning and a beautiful new batch of Hakurei turnips with nice greens. We also have the sweetest carrots you can find.
To be sure to get what you need, stop by the Garden this Thursday or Friday from 2 to 5, or arrive during the first hour or so of the HLFM market.
And, yes, any produce you buy from Hattie’s Garden will last at least a week and will be perfect for Thanksgiving. We practice strict post-harvest care so that your produce will be fresh and nice for many days.
We will be closed Thanksgiving week and will kick off our winter off-season delivery/pickup service the following week. Look for an email post from Hattie’s Garden on Sunday, December 1 with all the information and a link to our order form for the December 7 pickup / delivery service. You can read more about it below.
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available at Hattie’s Garden on Thursday & Friday from 2 to 5 located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, or at the Saturday Fall HLFM from 9 to noon located at Richard Shields Elementary School Parking Lot (Savannah Rd. & Sussex Dr).
- Fresh Berggarten Sage — A must have for your turkey and stuffing.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Triple-washed and bagged. Limited supply.
- Young Arugula — Triple-washed and bagged. Limited supply.
- Mesclun — Triple-washed and bagged. Limited supply.
- Sweet Carrots — Beautiful fall sweet carrots in small, medium and large sizes.
- Hakurei Turnips — These small Japanese delicacies are by far the sweetest “turnips” you will ever eat. Cook them until just soft without overcooking, or eat them raw as a salad turnip.
- Leafy Greens — We have a limited supply of Spinach, Swiss Chard and Red Russian Kale that will be available at the Garden only.
- French Breakfast Radishes — You must try this one-bite sized treat, prized for its sweet mild flavor and succulent crunch. Topped with edible, leafy greens, French Breakfast radishes are very crisp and offer a mildly spicy flavor.
- Scallions — Sweet and mild. They can be used raw or cooked.
- Fresh Turmeric — Its earthy, exotic aroma and flavor make it a delicious addition to many dishes. Limited quantities.
Off-Season Delivery / Pickup Service
Again this winter, Hattie’s Garden is participating with about a dozen vendors to bring you local produce and artisan products during the “off-season.” Our goal is to help create a viable foodshed on Delmarva by providing you with locally grown and produced food. We do everything we can to advance local small sustainable farms and food artisans and to promote the consumption of good whole food grown locally. A preliminary vendor list is provided below.
Be on the lookout for an email from Hattie on Sunday, December 1, that will contain all the details, including how to order. If you have signed up for our email newsletter, you will receive a copy of the new post as an email and you may follow a link to the order form.
Ordering is open until Wednesday at noon each week. Complete your order form carefully, making sure you have checked delivery (for Lewes and Rehoboth) if you would like it. Otherwise, please pickup at the garden Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Any pickups outside of that time frame should be cleared with Hattie via email and would be self-serve.
We do everything we can to advance local small sustainable farms and food artisans, and to promote the consumption of good whole food grown locally.
Off-Season Delivery / Pickup Service Vendor List
Below is a preliminary list of vendors, along with their products, who will participate in the off-season delivery / pickup program with Hattie’s Garden.
- Hattie’s Garden — Produce grown using organic and sustainable principles.
- Chesapeake Organic — Certified organic produce.
- Totem Farms — Sustainably grown peppers, lettuce, seasonal greens, squash and other vegetables.
- Fresh Harvest Hydroponics — Sustainably grown vegetables without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.
- Davidson Exotic Mushrooms — Portabello, Shitake, Crimini, Oyster, White, and other exotic mushrooms.
- AlaskaWild Seafoods — Wild-caught Alaska salmon, Alaska cod and Alaska rockfish.
- Dittmar Family Farms — Pasture raised, free range chicken.
- Twin Post Farm — Eggs from free-range chickens fed all natural grain with no antibiotics.
- Chapel’s Country Creamery — Artisan cheeses made from raw milk from grass fed cows.
- Backyard Jams and Jellies — Dozens of homemade jams and jellies, mustards and chutneys.
- Patty’s Deli — Freshly prepared gourmet food and deli items using many local ingredients.
- Nancy’s Cafe — Mediterranean fare.
- Jen’s Gourmet Pies — Sweet dessert pies and savory pot pies. (Gluten free available).
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Rd. (Also known as Rt. 1D) coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South).
Kendale Rd. is a short link (.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam and the garden at 31341 Kendale is located near the Beaver Dam Rd. intersection — five houses from that intersection on the left hand side.
The house has purple trim and you will see a large hoophouse or “high tunnel” in the back as you drive into the driveway.
We hold our sales in the large garage attached to the house. Enter the garage through a door in the side of the garage, just behind the house.
From the City of Lewes:
Travel on Savannah Rd and cross Rt. 1 as though traveling to Georgetown on Rt. 9, but take an immediate left and then an immediate right to access Rt. 23 South (Beaver Dam Rd). Rt. 23 runs roughly parallel to Rt. 9. Continue 3 miles and turn left onto Kendale Rd. Look for the purple trim on our house after a short distance of about a tenth of a mile.
From Rehoboth Beach:
Travel north on Rt. 1 and take a left at Rt. 24. Take a right onto Plantation Rd.–the first major intersection–and then a left onto Robinsonville Rd. (1.9 miles). Travel just under 3 miles and take a right onto Kendale Rd. Travel .5 miles on Kendale and 31341 will be on the right toward the end of this short road.
Yours in the Garden & Market,