Hakurei Turnip Salad
This recipe is a favorite because it’s so flexible. You can add other hearty salad greens, such as arugula and mustard greens, and use sunflower seeds in place of nuts.
- 1 bunch, hakurei turnips with greens (5 or 6 turnips)
- 1 bunch, mustard greens or arugula (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts or sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Prepare the Salad
- Rinse and chop into salad-sized pieces the greens from one bunch of turnips and your optional mustard greens or arugula.
- Put the stems in your compost bucket or freeze them with your other veggie scraps to make stock later on.
- Put the greens in your salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, honey, and mustard.
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add pecans or walnuts or sunflower seeds, then the vinegar mixture.
- Heat thoroughly and reduce the dressing until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat, pour over the salad, and toss to coat all the greens.
- Top with croutons, if desired.
- Serve at once.
Prepare this salad in a bowl and dress it just before serving.