Hattie’s Garden open Thursday and Friday, 2 to 5 — See below for directions.
Hattie’s Garden is happy to announce we now have a great selection of fall crops. We are beginning the harvest of our fall carrots and have lots of hakurei turnips, radishes, lettuce, young arugula, beautiful wax beans and lovely green beans. We continue to create beautiful specialty cut flower bouquets. Look for fresh turmeric in a couple of weeks.
On Saturday, October 5 the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) begins its Fall Market at the Shields Elementary School Parking Lot (Savannah Rd. & Sussex Dr), and the hours change to 9 am to noon.
Shields is a great location for easy access to lots of great produce. Remember that the fall is typically “harvest time” and you will find lots of great produce to eat and to put up for the winter. If you would like to can or freeze, ask your local farmer how to begin. We look forward to seeing you there.
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available at Hattie’s Garden on Thursday & Friday from 2 to 5 located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, or at the Saturday Fall HLFM from 9 to noon located at Shields Elementary School Parking Lot (Savannah Rd. & Sussex Dr). If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
- Radishes — Delicious red radishes.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Triple-washed, bagged, and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Young Arugula — It’s young, clean and flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Mesclun — Triple-washed, bagged, and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Hakurei Turnips — Sweet, crunchy, and great raw in a salad, yet versatile enough to be added to soups and stir-fry.
- Young Carrots — The taste of fall carrots only gets better and better, and we hope to harvest carrots for every Saturday market from now until our final Saturday, November 23 market.
- Wax Beans — Tender and succulent.
- Green Beans — Tender texture, sweet flavor and simply delicious.
- Young Ginger — Limited. At the Garden only.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — Choose a freshly prepared beautiful bouquet which this week will include several lisianthus stems, zinnias, gomphrena, and tall blue ageratum. Or have a custom bouquet made on the spot. Each bouquet comes with flower food, and is guaranteed to last at least a week.
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Rd. (Also known as Rt. 1D) coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South).
Kendale Rd. is a short link (.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam and the garden at 31341 Kendale is located near the Beaver Dam Rd. intersection — five houses from that intersection on the left hand side.
The house has purple trim and you will see a large hoophouse or “high tunnel” in the back as you drive into the driveway.
We hold our sales in the large garage attached to the house. Enter the garage through a door in the side of the garage, just behind the house.
From the City of Lewes:
Travel on Savannah Rd and cross Rt. 1 as though traveling to Georgetown on Rt. 9, but take an immediate left and then an immediate right to access Rt. 23 South (Beaver Dam Rd). Rt. 23 runs roughly parallel to Rt. 9. Continue 3 miles and turn left onto Kendale Rd. Look for the purple trim on our house after a short distance of about a tenth of a mile.
From Rehoboth Beach:
Travel north on Rt. 1 and take a left at Rt. 24. Take a right onto Plantation Rd.–the first major intersection–and then a left onto Robinsonville Rd. (1.9 miles). Travel just under 3 miles and take a right onto Kendale Rd. Travel .5 miles on Kendale and 31341 will be on the right toward the end of this short road.
Yours in the Garden & Market,