Camelot shallots! Extremely versatile in the kitchen, Camelot adds a rich, subtle onion taste that cannot be duplicated.
We just harvested ours and they are seasoning in the high tunnel. You can get them at either of the markets we attend, or at the Garden on Thursday and Friday.
Shallots impart a subtle mellow onion taste (much less aggressive than an onion) and just a hint of garlic to any dish. Shallots work especially well in dishes where they are used raw, such as dressings and salads, avoiding the pungency of raw onions or garlic. Cooked, they become very mild and sweet.
We want to thank you all for showing up at our markets last week in the heat. We saw many of our regular customers Wednesday and Saturday morning, and your support makes us feel really appreciated for the hard work we do to bring you fresh produce and flowers. It was a bit rough for everything — people, plants and animals. The farmers I have spoken with are making it, but are feeling very drained from trying to work in the heat. But we persevere and look forward to much milder weather this week.
What’s Available This Week
In addition to the shallots, we hope to begin harvesting our large heirloom tomatoes this week, including a good variety of cherry tomatoes. We also have a very good planting of arugula to cut for you this week. You can find us on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at Kings Highway across from Crooked Hammock Brewery, Thursday and Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Hattie’s Garden located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the HLFM located at George H.P. Smith Park. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
- Cherry Tomatoes — In mixed pints.
- Heirloom Tomatoes — Limited.
- Arugula — It’s young, clean and flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Camelot Shallots — Add color and a gourmet depth of flavor to your cuisine routine with this gorgeous red shallot.
- Cabernet Red Onions — These onions are great in salads, salsas, and other raw preparations.
- Walla Walla Onions — Sweet, mild flavor. They are fantastic thinly sliced and served in salads or on top of sandwiches.
- Sierra Blanca Onions — This is a nice, mild sweet-white onion.
- Basil — Fresh cut.
- Blackberries — In pints. Limited.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — This week we have Benary Giant Zinnias, Gomphrena,Dianthus, stunning Double Click Cosmos, Tall Blue Ageratum, plumes of Celosia and stunning Lisianthus stems. Each of our flower cuttings, which will last you at least a full week, are pretty enough to stand alone in a vase. Choose a freshly prepared bouquet, or have a custom bouquet made for you on the spot, which comes complete with a packet of flower food.
Yours in the garden and at the markets,