The heat goes on, and the heat goes on. La de da de de, la de da de da.
Not sure if it’s pounding into my brain, but yes, it’s hot.
We hope you are able to stay out of the worst of the heat. And we cannot emphasize enough that when outside wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and stay plenty hydrated with water.
And don’t forget your pets too — be sure they have plenty of cool, fresh water and keep it in the shade.
Here at the Garden, we try to work very early and then late in the day, but even then the heat has taken its toll on everyone and on everything in the garden. But as we mentioned last week, our annual summer flowers seem to be enjoying it immensely.
We couldn’t be more pleased that our beautiful lisianthus are ready. These are gorgeous flowers similar to a rose without the thorns, and make some of the best cut flowers — it will last in the vase for 2 to 3 weeks where multiple blossoms will continue to open.
We also continue to harvest sweet and delicious cherry tomatoes, big bunches of fresh basil, and have lots and lots of cured onions for your larder.
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at Kings Highway across from Crooked Hammock Brewery, Thursday and Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Hattie’s Garden located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the HLFM located at George H.P. Smith Park. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements.
- Patty Pan Squash — Delightful summer squash that can be grilled or sauteed in just minutes.
- Cherry Tomatoes — In mixed pints. Limited.
- Arugula — It’s young, clean and flavorful. Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Basil — Fresh cut.
- Walla Walla Onions — Sweet, mild flavor. They are fantastic thinly sliced and served in salads or on top of sandwiches.
- Young Sierra Blanca Onions — This is a nice, mild sweet-white onion.
- Cabernet Red Onions — These onions are great in salads, salsas, and other raw preparations.
- Scallions — Sweet and mild. They can be used raw or cooked.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — This week we have Benary Giant Zinnias, Amazon Neon Purple, stunning Double Click Cosmos, Tall Blue Ageratum, plumes of Celosia and stunning Lisianthus stems. Each of our flower cuttings, which will last you at least a full week, are pretty enough to stand alone in a vase. Choose a freshly prepared bouquet, or have a custom bouquet made for you on the spot, which comes complete with a packet of flower food.
Yours in the garden and at the markets,