Hattie’s Garden open Wednesday and Thursday, 2 to 5 — See below for directions.
The end of the season for the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) is upon us.
Please join us this Saturday, November 19 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Shields Elementary School.
It has been a great year and many many thanks to all of you for your support, both at the market and here at the garden.
Off-Season Delivery / Pickup Service
Again this winter, Hattie’s Garden is participating with about a dozen vendors to bring you local produce and products during the “off-season.” Our goal is to help create a viable foodshed on Delmarva by providing you with locally grown and produced food. We do everything we can to advance local small sustainable farms and food artisans and to promote the consumption of good whole food grown locally.
Each week, beginning Sunday, December 3, we post a new blog and open an updated order form on our website. If you have signed up for our newsletter, you will receive a copy of the new blog as an email and you may follow a link to the order form. Access to the order form is also available directly from our website. Customers have until Wednesday at noon to place orders for Saturday for delivery or for pickup at the garden. Tentative vendor list is provided below.
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available this week at Hattie’s Garden on Wednesday and Thursday from 2 to 5. If these times/dates do not work for you, please email Hattie to make other arrangements. We will also be at the HLFM on Saturday from 9 to 12 at the Richard Shields School parking lot.
- Senposai — Harvested young, this Asian green tastes somewhat like a tender sweet cabbage, but is a leafy green.
- Japanese Giant Red Mustard — Harvested young, this mustard has a moderate peppery note and subtle nutty finish
- Young Arugula — Lovely freshly harvested, triple-washed.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Young and tender mix of several lettuce varieties, triple washed.
- Mesclun — A mixture of our tender salad greens, triple washed.
- Hakurei Turnips — Everyone who tries this delicacy comes back for more and is amazed.
- Young Carrots — Limited and available only at the garden this week. More carrots will be ready after Thanksgiving.
We will have the following produce through Deep Grass Organic only at Hattie’s Garden from 2 – 5 on Wednesday and Thursday.
- Butternut Squash — Shaped like a large pear, this squash has cream-colored skin, deep orange-colored flesh and a sweet flavor.
- Acorn Squash — With harvest green skin speckled with orange patches and pale yellow-orange flesh, this squash has a unique flavor that is a combination of sweet, nutty and peppery.
- Orange Sweet Potatoes — Small and medium-sized tubers. Sweet and delicious.
- O’Henry Sweet Potatoes — A white sweet potato with amazing flavor.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes — All-purpose potato that can be used for just about any cooking application.
- Garlic — An essential and wonderful seasoning to add aroma, taste, and added nutrition to your dishes.
- Red Onions — Mild and quite sweet. Ideal for salads, marinades, salsas and roasts.
- Copra Onions — These can keep as long as 9 months or more.
- Candy Yellow Onions — Sweet & mild flavored.
Off-Season Delivery / Pickup Service Vendor List
Below is the tentative list of vendors, along with their products, who will participate in the off-season delivery / pickup program with Hattie’s Garden. All produce sold is either certified organic or grown using sustainable methods without the use of synthetic pesticides or fungicides.
- Hattie’s Garden — Produce grown using organic and sustainable principles.
- Chesapeake Organic — Certified organic produce.
- Deep Grass Organic — Certified organic produce, vinegar, jams, salsas, horseradish mustard.
- Fresh Harvest Hydroponics — Sustainbly grown vegetables without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.
- Mossflower Cottage — Varieties of spinach, mixed greens, butter lettuce, arugula and romaine, all grown without pesticides and herbicides.
- Davidson Exotic Mushrooms — Portabello, Shitake, Crimini, Oyster, White, and other exotic mushrooms.
- Baues’ Busy Bees — Raw honey and honey-based products from their own hives.
- Bohemia Lea Farm — Sustainably grown chicken, pork and beef.
- Chapel’s Country Creamery — Artisan cheeses made from raw milk from grass fed cows.
- Twin Post Farm — Eggs from free-range chickens fed all natural grain with no antibiotics.
- Black Hog Farmstead — Fabulous farm-fresh tasty duck eggs from their own free range ducks.
- Backyard Jams and Jellies — Dozens of homemade jams and jellies, mustards and chutneys
- Patty’s Deli — Freshly prepared gourmet food and deli items using many local ingredients.
We want to bring you the very best whole local food that we can, and look forward to your continued support of our local growers and producers.
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Rd. (Also known as Rt. 1D) coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South). Kendale Rd. is a short link (.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam and the garden at 31341 Kendale is located near the Beaver Dam Rd. intersection — five houses from that intersection on the left hand side. The house has purple trim and you will see a large hoophouse or “high tunnel” in the back as you drive into the driveway.
We hold our sales in the large garage attached to the house. Enter the garage through a door in the side of the garage, just behind the house.
From the City of Lewes:
Travel on Savannah Rd and cross Rt. 1 as though traveling to Georgetown on Rt. 9, but take an immediate left and then an immediate right to access Rt. 23 South (Beaver Dam Rd). Rt. 23 runs roughly parallel to Rt. 9. Continue 3 miles and turn left onto Kendale Rd. Look for the purple trim on our house after a short distance of about a tenth of a mile.
From Rehoboth Beach:
Travel north on Rt. 1 and take a left at Rt. 24. Take a right onto Plantation Rd.–the first major intersection–and then a left onto Robinsonville Rd. (1.9 miles). Travel just under 3 miles and take a right onto Kendale Rd. Travel .5 miles on Kendale and 31341 will be on the right toward the end of this short road.
Yours in the Garden and at the Market,