It was a great season and we look forward to seeing you at the HLFM in May 2015.
No Thursday Hours for Hattie’s Garden
Cold, cold, cold. We regret we are unable to open Hattie’s Garden to our customers this Thursday, November 20. The cold weather is making it difficult for us to operate as usual. When the temperature plummets, we can still harvest some of our most hardy vegetables, such as kale and spinach, but there is only a small window during the warmest part of the day when these vegetables will revive sufficiently to allow a nice harvest. Thus, we will be putting our energy toward harvesting for the last market of the HLFM this Saturday.
What’s Available on Saturday at the HLFM
- Toscano Kale – dark blue-green leaves have an embossed texture with a taste slightly sweeter, earthy and more delicate than curly kale.
- Red Russian Kale – always a nice kale and very different from typical curly kale. Curly kale has more of a bitter taste while Red Russian kale is mild and sweet.
- Beedy’s Camden Kale – silvery wide leaves with a sweet delightful taste. We like this new-to-us open-pollinated kale from Beedy Parker in Camden, Maine.
- Young tender greens this week includes Pak Choi, Fun Jen, Mustard Greens (a mixture of Osaka Purple, Mizuna and Komatsuna) and Swiss Chard.
Note: Because these greens are so fragile, we will bag them and keep them in coolers, preserving freshness and quality. In this way, if you are using them at Thanksgiving, they will be nice and fresh for you. Please remember to look into all of our coolers. If you want to open bags to take a look inside, please do so. These are gourmet quality greens and we treat them with utmost respect!
- Carrots – extremely limited. Come early and please take just one bunch! After the incredible response for our carrots this year, Hattie will commit more space and time to growing carrots next fall!
- Daikon Radishes – we are pulling the last of our daikon radishes. The roots will store for you a very long time in the refrigerator.
- Herbs – Don’t be without your sage for your Thanksgiving turkey! We are offering Berggarten Sage which is a German sage with large oval leaves that sets it apart from common sage. Absolutely wonderful earthy aroma and flavor. We save this hearty herb for the holidays!
Additional herbs this week include Dill, Cilantro, Mint, and Parsley.
All our herbs are sold in one ounce bunches at just $2 each.
Note: All our kale is young and tender and cooks to a delicious softness in no more than 15 minutes.
Hattie’s Garden Off-season Delivery Service
As we mentioned last week, Hattie’s Garden will be launching a delivery service, beginning Saturday, December 6, consisting of local produce and other vendor products during the months of December, January and perhaps February on most Saturday mornings. We think you will be just as thrilled as we are with the vendors who are participating.
Be on the lookout for an email from Hattie on Sunday, November 30, that will contain all the details, including how to order. This email will always be published on our website should you accidentally misplace it. The deadline for ordering each week is Wednesday at Noon. At this time, we are delivering to the Lewes and Rehoboth Beach area only for $7.
There is no requirement to have your items delivered and if you prefer, or if you are outside of our delivery area, you may pickup your order at the house anytime during daylight hours on Saturday or another day by appointment.
After you have ordered, you will receive a copy of your order via email. We ask that you check the details and reply if there is any problem. We will then generate an electronic invoice for you. There will be some items we are selling that are sold by the pound. For those items, you will also receive a final invoice after we have entered all the actual order details.
You may pay with a check payable to Hattie’s Garden via mail, by leaving a check or cash outside your door for the delivery person, or bringing payment if you are picking up at the house. You will also be able to pay by credit card directly from the invoice. We keep a running total and if anything changes in your order after payment has been made, it will be brought forward in your balance and applied to the next order automatically.
Please be sure to try to order as quickly as possible. Those who wait until Wednesday morning may find the inventory for some items has been exhausted. We want you to get what you want and the best way to do that is to order as soon as possible!
We are really excited about doing this again this year and look forward to bringing you great local food! We know the kind of things we can bring you, aside from being extremely fresh, are simply not available in the supermarket. This is a great way to make it through the winter in style!
2014-2015 Vendor List
- Hattie’s Garden – Produce
- Greenbranch Organic Farm – Produce, free-range beef and pork
- Chesapeake Organics – Certified organic produce
- Deep Grass Nursery – Certified organic produce, vinegar, jams, salsas, horseradish mustard
- Backyard Jams and Jellies – Dozens of homemade jams and jellies, mustards and chutneys
- Baues’ Busy Bees – Raw honey
- Chapel’s Country Creamery – Artisan cheeses made from raw milk from grass fed cows
- Pure Harvest Farm – Pasture-raised chickens fed certified organic feed
- Twin Post Farm – Free-range chicken eggs
- Patty’s Homemade Gourmet Food – Gourment foods include soup, sandwiches, salads, salsa and more.
- Old World Breads – Artisan breads and wholesome desserts and pies made with European-style butter
Until then, may you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. We at Hattie’s Garden would like to extend our gratitude and thanks to all of you.
Yours in the garden throughout the winter,