For just a few brief weeks in summer the heirloom tomatoes are on the vine and at their best. They have really come on for us here at Hattie’s Garden and we would love to share them with you all.
Many would say that if you’ve never had an heirloom tomato then you’ve never tasted a real tomato.
We know how true this is. These heirlooms are a rare gastronomical treat, passed down from generations of farmers.
Here are the varieties you can expect to find at the Garden on Thursday and Friday from 10 to 5, and at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) on Wednesday and Saturday.
Cherokee Purple — A Cherokee Indian heirloom, pre-1890 and from Tennessee. Beautiful deep, dusky, purple-pink color. Medium large at about 8 to 12 ounces, it is the smallest of our heirlooms and the right size to share for lunch on sandwiches. Cherokee Purple has real, old-time tomato flavor, and is a balance of sweet, acid and savory.
German Johnson — We think this pink heirloom is every bit as good as any Brandywine. German Johnson comes from Virginia and North Carolina and ranges from just over a half pound to about a pound in size. Rich, creamy, tender, smooth texture with deep, mildly acidic tomato flavor. Firm texture with few seeds makes it great for slicing or canning.
Striped German — Normally at least a pound, some of them closer to two pounds, this is the jewel in the crown for a great tasting tomato. From Hampshire County, West Virginia, Striped German is an heirloom at least 50 years old. The color is a shaded or “striped” red and yellow and the interior is beautifully marbled. Dense and smooth, fruity, sweet, juicy and complex, Striped German is the one we love to gorge on.
What Else is Available This Week
The following will also be available on Wednesday from 8 to 11 at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at Kings Highway across from Crooked Hammock Brewery, Thursday and Friday from 10 to 5 at Hattie’s Garden located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, and the HLFM on Saturday from 8 to noon located at George H.P. Smith Park (Block House Pond). You can also email Hattie to make an appointment to stop by Hattie’s Garden at another time.
- Tomatoes — Heirlooms and pints of mixed cherry tomatoes in all colors and sizes.
- Arugula — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Mesclun — Mix of arugula and loose leaf. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Scallions — They are just beautiful.
- Herbs — Fresh-cut Basil, large bunches of fresh Italian Parsley, and herb packs containing Parsley, Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — Lisianthus, Cosmos, Zinnias, Ageratum, Celosia, Gomphrena and more. Choose a freshly prepared beautiful bouquet or have a custom bouquet made on the spot. Each bouquet comes with a packet of flower food. These bouquets should last at least a full week for you as we cut and condition them professionally.
Yours in the Garden & Markets,