|Rocket Pesto|| |
Enjoy this pesto sauce on gluten-free pasta, pizza, steamed veggies, a raw bread or cracker, or stuff a chicken breast, or use as a sauce atop fish. So versatile and so nutritious!
- 3 cups packed rocket (arugula) leaves, washed, blanched, dried
- 12-14 sweet basil leaves
- ½ cup lightly pan-toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup lightly pan-toasted pine nuts
- 6-8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon or citrus zest
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup of water
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Pecorino (optional)
- Pan-roast the unpeeled garlic cloves over medium high heat in a skillet for about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool slightly then peel and add to your blender or food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the processor bowl, then slowly pulse the mixture while adding the water until well-blended.
- Pour pesto into a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the olive oil mixing it in gently then adding the cheese if you like.
- Stir gently until pesto is well-blended.
- Taste and adjust if you need.
- Store in a sterilized jar and cover with olive oil before placing in the refrigerator. Should keep for up to a month if you continue to pour more olive oil over the top of the pesto after each use.
Blanching the rocket involves plunging it into boiling water for a few seconds, removing it to an ice-water bath, then patting dry then adding to your food processor or blender to blend with the rest of the ingredients (except olive oil). If your rocket is at its peak and fresh you may skip the blanching and add a little more water in blending step as needed.