The abundance of the fall harvest is upon us. And with that, we are pleased to offer a full line of very nice salad ingredients this week. We have new young lettuce and a beautiful cutting of young arugula. We are also pulling nice hakurei turnips, and our Asian mustard greens consisting of large bunches of komatsuna and mizuna.
We are picking gorgeous mixed quarts of beans: wax, purple and green. We continue to dig gourmet quality young ginger.
And our Lisianthus have come back for a second showing, dressing up our beautiful bouquets along with a new cutting of Double-click cosmos.
Be sure to stop by the Garden on Thursday or Friday from 2 to 5, especially if you would like one of the last pints of mixed cherry tomatoes.
And be sure to join us at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) on Saturday from 8 to 12 as the market kicks off a special Seniors over 55 and Beebe Healthcare Day at the Market.
This special day has been rescheduled from our original rained out August 12 date. Get free health screenings with Beebe nurses, participate in nutritional discussions and a cooking demo, and participate in a scavenger hunt to win one of the many gift certificate prizes donated by market vendors! There’s also going to be free bocce ball lessons for seniors in the park! The weather should be gorgeous. See you there!
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available at Hattie’s Garden on Thursday & Friday from 2 to 5 located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, or at the Saturday HLFM from 8 to noon located at George H.P. Smith Park (Block House Pond).
- Young Arugula — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Young Loose Leaf Lettuce — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Mesclun — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Komatsuna — These tender greens can be used raw in salads and spring rolls or lightly sautéed in stir fries and wilted in pasta dishes.
- Mizuna — One of the mildest mustard greens, mizuna is high in immune-boosting vitamin C, folate, and iron. With its crisp stalks and beautiful frond-like leaves, mizuna is a wonderful addition to salads. It can also be stir-fried, sauteed, simmered, and added to hot pot dishes.
- Hakurei Turnips — Yes, they’re back! These delightful gourmet “salad” turnips are sweeter still when cooked and the greens are some of the best turnip greens you will ever eat. The flavor improves as the weather cools.
- Beans — Mixed green, wax and purple beans.
- Fresh Young Ginger — Mild and tender enough to eat raw in salads, it has an almost translucent skin that is so thin it doesn’t need peeling; you can practically rub it off. Just wash it and trim the cut surfaces.
- Tomatoes — Limited quantities of mixed Cherry Tomato Pints (at the Garden only on Thursday and Friday).
- Specialty Cut Flowers — Bouquets include Lisianthus, Benary Giant Zinnias, Gomphrena, Celosia, Ageratum, Tall Blue Salvia, and Double-click Cosmos. Stunning and colorful and guaranteed to last a week. We can also prepare a custom bouquet on the spot.
Yours in the Garden & Market,