Hattie’s Garden open Thursday and Friday, 2 to 5 — See below for directions.
Hattie’s Garden is excited to again offer an off-season delivery/pickup service providing customers with fresh local produce and artisan food beginning Saturday, December 2.
A preliminary vendor list is provided below.
Be on the lookout for an email from Hattie on Sunday, November 26, that will contain all the details, including how to order. If you have signed up for our email newsletter, you will receive a copy of the new post as an email and you may follow a link to the order form.
This email will always be published on our website should you accidentally misplace it. The deadline for ordering each week is Wednesday at Noon.
You may pickup your order at the garden from 9 to 3 Saturdays, or other days by prior arrangement. We deliver in Lewes and Rehoboth Beach Saturday morning for a small delivery charge, if you prefer.
We do everything we can to advance local small sustainable farms and food artisans and to promote the consumption of good whole food grown locally.
What’s Available This Week
The following will be available at Hattie’s Garden on Thursday & Friday from 2 to 5 located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, or at the Saturday Fall HLFM from 9 to noon now located at Richard Shields Elementary School Parking Lot (Savannah Rd. & Sussex Dr).
- Hakurei Turnips — These small Japanese delicacies are by far the sweetest “turnips” you will ever eat. Cook them until just soft without overcooking, or eat them raw as a salad turnip.
- French Breakfast Radishes — You must try this one-bite sized treat, prized for its sweet mild flavor and succulent crunch. Topped with edible, leafy greens, French Breakfast radishes are very crisp and offer a mildly spicy flavor.
- Young Carrots — Beautiful fall carrots getting sweeter by the day.
- Young Arugula — Lovely freshly harvested, triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Young Loose Leaf Lettuce — Tender, triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Mesclun — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Young Red Russian Kale — A nice mild, sweet, flat-leaved Siberian-type kale. Always picked young and cooks quickly or can be eaten raw.
- Spinach — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Mizuna Asian Green — Quick cooking and very delicious Asian green, mizuna is a wonderful addition to salads. It can also be stir-fried, sauteed, simmered, and added to hot pot dishes.
- Komatsuna Asian Green — Another delightful mild Asian; these can be used raw in salads and spring rolls or lightly sautéed in stir fries and wilted in pasta dishes.
Off-Season Delivery / Pickup Service Vendor List
Below is a preliminary list of vendors, along with their products, who will participate in the off-season delivery / pickup program with Hattie’s Garden. All produce sold is either certified organic or grown using sustainable methods without the use of synthetic pesticides or fungicides.
- Hattie’s Garden — Produce grown using organic and sustainable principles.
- Chesapeake Organic — Certified organic produce.
- Colchester Farm — Fresh produce grown using organic methods.
- Fresh Harvest Hydroponics — Sustainbly grown vegetables without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.
- Davidson Exotic Mushrooms — Portabello, Shitake, Crimini, Oyster, White, and other exotic mushrooms.
- Bohemia Lea Farm — Sustainably grown chicken, pork and beef.
- Chapel’s Country Creamery — Artisan cheeses made from raw milk from grass fed cows.
- Twin Post Farm — Eggs from free-range chickens fed all natural grain with no antibiotics.
- Backyard Jams and Jellies — Dozens of homemade jams and jellies, mustards and chutneys.
- Patty’s Deli — Freshly prepared gourmet food and deli items using many local ingredients.
Directions to Hattie’s Garden
Hattie’s Garden is located at 31341 Kendale Rd in Lewes approximately 3 miles from Plantation Rd. (Also known as Rt. 1D) coming inland on either Robinsonville Rd. or Beaver Dam Rd (Rt. 23 South).
Kendale Rd. is a short link (.6 miles) between Robinsonville and Beaver Dam and the garden at 31341 Kendale is located near the Beaver Dam Rd. intersection — five houses from that intersection on the left hand side.
The house has purple trim and you will see a large hoophouse or “high tunnel” in the back as you drive into the driveway.
We hold our sales in the large garage attached to the house. Enter the garage through a door in the side of the garage, just behind the house.
From the City of Lewes:
Travel on Savannah Rd and cross Rt. 1 as though traveling to Georgetown on Rt. 9, but take an immediate left and then an immediate right to access Rt. 23 South (Beaver Dam Rd). Rt. 23 runs roughly parallel to Rt. 9. Continue 3 miles and turn left onto Kendale Rd. Look for the purple trim on our house after a short distance of about a tenth of a mile.
From Rehoboth Beach:
Travel north on Rt. 1 and take a left at Rt. 24. Take a right onto Plantation Rd.–the first major intersection–and then a left onto Robinsonville Rd. (1.9 miles). Travel just under 3 miles and take a right onto Kendale Rd. Travel .5 miles on Kendale and 31341 will be on the right toward the end of this short road.
Yours in the Garden & Market,