Here at Hattie’s Garden we are blessed with abundance in our garden. Now in its 12 year, Hattie’s Garden began as Petal Pushers cultivating flowers. We soon found ourselves growing all kinds of produce, including lots of vegetables and in particular our salad greens and arugula, which became immensely popular.
Now we feel we have nearly come full circle as our flower production has increased each year again for the past several years. We find our customer base has grown and includes lots of people who love flowers or who have come to love them. Flowers certainly do add a bright spot to the day and they make a great crop for the garden, attracting plenty of beneficial insects, especially pollinators, and allowing us to more easily rotate our vegetables and keep the soil healthy. This week, in particular, our flowers and tomatoes are in abundance.
Our flower bouquets are fabulous. We love it when we have so many spectacular flowers to work with. Available this week are Lisianthus in three colors: Carmine Red, Lavender and Pink, multi-colored Cosmos, long-blooming Scabiosa (Pincushion), showy Celosia, gorgeous Gomphrena, amazing Benary Giant Zinnias, beautiful Tall Blue Ageratum and spectacular Salvia.
Choose a freshly prepared beautiful bouquet or have a custom bouquet made on the spot. Each bouquet comes with a packet of flower food. These bouquets should last at least a full week for you as we cut and condition them professionally.
Our tomatoes are ripening at a furious rate. Some of the large, sweet German Johnson and the delicious Striped German are weighing in over a pound and are simply luscious. For smaller tomatoes, the Cherokee Purple fits the bill and is as delicious as anything we have tasted. If you are a cherry tomato fan, purchase a beautiful mixed pint of tomatoes or a half-pint of sweet kid-friendly Jasper cherries.
What Else is Available This Week
The following will also be available on Wednesday from 8 to 11 at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at Kings Highway across from Crooked Hammock Brewery, Thursday and Friday from 10 to 5 at Hattie’s Garden located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, and the HLFM on Saturday from 8 to noon located at George H.P. Smith Park (Block House Pond). You can also email Hattie to make an appointment to stop by Hattie’s Garden at another time.
- Young Arugula — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Mesclun — Mix of young arugula and loose leaf. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Scallions — They are just beautiful.
- Patty Pan Squash — So delicious … We just can’t get enough of these.
- Tomatoes — Pints of mixed cherry tomatoes in all colors and sizes, as well heirloom and hybrid varieties.
- Herbs — Fresh-cut Basil, large bunches of fresh Italian Parsley, and herb packs containing Parsley, Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — You will love these.
Yours in the Garden & Markets,