Saturday, August 5 is the much anticipated Tomato Festival at Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM). From 9:30 to 11 a.m. you can sample wonderful tomato dishes prepared by the best chefs in Delaware using juicy tomatoes from market vendors.
Hattie’s Garden is paired with Matt Kern from Heirloom Restaurant in Lewes. Heirloom will setup next to Hattie’s Garden at the market. You will be able to taste dishes from lots of different chefs at the various vendor tents.
A fun time is in store for all age groups with events such as tomato tastings, games, recipe contests, face-painting for children, and guess the number of cherry tomatoes. We hope you can join us.
If you don’t like crowds, please come to the Garden on Thursday or Friday from 10 to 5, or attend the smaller HLFM market at Crooked Hammock on Wednesday from 8 to 11. We will have heirloom tomatoes and beautiful cherry tomatoes this week and a nice new cutting of arugula.
For the best chance of getting a bag of our limited supply of lettuce mix or mesclun, please visit the garden, or come very early to either market. We will have more as the weather begins to cool and the days get shorter, but during these dog days of summer, lettuce is hard to come grow.
We are also going to offer a range of herbs (oregano, marjoram, lemon thyme, English thyme, chives, rosemary, sage, curly parsley, flat parsley and basil) in small amounts at just $1.00 each. You may select one or more of any of these.
What Else is Available This Week
The following will also be available on Wednesday from 8 to 11 at the Historic Lewes Farmers Market (HLFM) located at Kings Highway across from Crooked Hammock Brewery, Thursday and Friday from 10 to 5 at Hattie’s Garden located at 31341 Kendale Road in Lewes, and the HLFM on Saturday from 8 to noon located at George H.P. Smith Park (Block House Pond). You can also email Hattie to make an appointment to stop by Hattie’s Garden at another time.
- Arugula — Triple-washed and kept cold for you in our coolers.
- Loose Leaf Lettuce — Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers (very limited and likely only available at the garden).
- Mesclun — Mix of arugula and loose leaf. Triple-washed and kept cold in our coolers.
- Scallions — They are just beautiful.
- Heirloom Tomatoes — Beautiful Cherokee Purple, rich, creamy, tender German Johnson, and the jewel in the crown Striped German.
- Cherry Tomatoes — Mixed pints in all colors and sizes, including Jasper half-pints (the kid friendly little cherry everyone loves).
- Herbs — Fresh-cut Basil, large bunches of fresh Italian Parsley, and a range of small herb packs containing oregano, marjoram, lemon thyme, English thyme, chives, rosemary, sage, curly parsley, flat parsley and basil.
- Specialty Cut Flowers — Bouquets this week will include plenty of zinnias, gomphrena, celosia and more. Stunning and colorful and guaranteed to last a week. We can also prepare a custom bouquet on the spot.
Yours in the Garden & Markets,